Nurse Tess is welcoming a new Hungarian Viszla puppy into her home and how cute is he! After a lot of thought and discussion, Tess and her partner thought a Viszla would be a great breed for them to keep up with their active lifestyle. It is important when thinking about bringing a puppy into your family, to think about what breed best suits you. Consider the following questions:
- Do you like going for long walks, or prefer weekends on the couch?
- Do you have a big back yard or live in a small unit?
A puppy is a big commitment; depending on the size and breed dogs, they can live up to 16 years! So, you want to make sure you are making the right choice for you and your family.
Adopt or buy from a breeder
Another important consideration is where you are getting your puppy from. Adoption is a great option for many people, there are so many dogs and puppies in need of loving homes. However, if you do decide to get a puppy from a breeder you need to be sure you are purchasing from a responsible one.
Here are a few tips for choosing the right breeder:
- Visit! Every breeder should be happy with you coming to visit Mum and puppies, and if possible Dad as well. This will be a great chance for you to see the personalities of your puppy's parents as well as their living conditions.
- Make sure to check your new puppy and parents are properly wormed, vaccinated and microchipped. All puppies should come microchipped, have had their first lot of vaccinations and been wormed regularly.
- Is your breeder interested in your lifestyle and suitability to the breed? Do they want to know whether you will be a suitable home?
- Are the parents in good health and free from possible inherited disorder? Your breeder should be happy and willing to answer any questions you may have about the parents of the puppies.
Most of all enjoy your puppy - wees on the carpet and all! And remember, training doesn't just end after puppy school! There are so many great trainers and clubs out there to help continue you and your puppy’s lifelong learning together.