Bee Stings

With the warmer weather, bees and wasps are out and about. In clinic we are seeing a lot of dogs and cats being stung in their backyard or on a walk, so it's a good idea to know what to do if it happens to your pet. Commonly dogs and cats are stung on their mouth or paws. We see more puppies and kittens with bee stings purely because of their inquisitive nature.

As with humans, a bee sting is painful and can sometimes cause an allergic reaction. In most cases a bee sting causes discomfort and swelling and the stinger can be flicked off. However, sometimes a more severe reaction can occur; vomiting, pale gums or collapse are signs that your pet may need medical attention. For this reason it is always best to get yourself to a vet clinic so that they can help remove the stinger and give an antihistamine to reduce the pain, and if your pet starts having a more serious reaction your in the right place! If ever in doubt always give us a call, our nurses are very knowledgeable and are happy to help!

Share