Zoe's amputation

Meet Zoe, a gorgeous 12 year old Tortoiseshell cat that came to visit us back in February because she had taken a fall and her left front leg had become swollen and painful.

After a thorough examination by Dr Lan she collected a FNA sample from Zoe's leg. A FNA or fine needle aspiration allows the veterinarian to examine the cells taken under the microscope. Under the microscope Dr Lan could see joint fluid. Finding a small amount of fluid is normal but a build up may be due to infection, trauma or cancer. Due to there being no conclusive answer being found Dr Lan sent the sample off to the laboratory for further testing and Zoe was booked in for x-rays to rule out any trauma to her leg.

Zoe returned a couple of days later to have her x-rays performed by Dr Lan. With nurse Sarah assisting they anaethetised Zoe and took several x-rays of her left front leg. On the x-ray viewer Dr Lan found free floating osteophites. Osteophites are boney growths found on the extremities of bones and is common in animals with arthritis.

Zoe was put on a course of antibiotics and long term pain relief to see if her pain could be managed on these. When she came in for a recheck with Dr Lan several weeks later her leg had become more painful and she wasn't using the leg at all. Dr Lan discussed the options with Zoe's owners and they decided that the best option for her would be to amputate her leg.

A few days later Zoe returned to have her surgery with Dr Lan. With the assistance of nurses Grace and Rebecca, Zoe was placed under general anaesthetic and prepared for her surgery. The preparation involved placing her on intravenous fluids to maintain her blood pressure and shaving and cleaning her leg. Once the surgical site was clipped and cleaned Zoe was moved into the operating theater. There Dr. Lan amputated her leg while nurses Grace and Rebecca closely monitored her vital signs. After an hour of surgery Zoe's procedure was completed and she was transferred to her cage so she could recover. 

Zoe stayed with us overnight to remain on intravenous fluids, pain relief and to keep her confined. The next morning Zoe was moving around her cage and ready to go home.

We are happy to report that Zoe is now home with her family and is doing great!