Diesel’s mishap

Diesel is a handsome 1 year old black domestic short haired cat who was brought to the clinic to see Dr Andrea as he was suddenly having trouble walking at home. When Dr Andrea examined Diesel it was found that he was not able to support his weight with his hind legs, he had a bump on his head and he urinated blood tinged urine. It was suspected that Diesel had been hit by a car as he had been outside during the day.

Dr Andrea admitted Diesel to the hospital for stabilisation of his shock prior to performing radiographs of his hind legs and pelvis. Diesel was placed on an intravenous fluid drip to help treat him for shock. When a patient is in shock following a traumatic episode their blood pressure can drop. By placing Diesel on an intravenous fluid drip this would help to treat his shock by increasing and maintaining his blood pressure. Dr Andrea also administered a strong pain relief injection in order to allow Diesel to be comfortable and pain free.

Radiographs were performed on Diesel 12 hours after his admission once he was stabilised. He was administered a sedative in order for the radiographs to be taken. The sedative allowed for him to be positioned for a radiograph and it also provided some pain relief so that he did not feel any discomfort when he was moved and positioned. The radiographs illustrated that he had fractured his right femoral neck. This is where the femur or thigh bone enters the hip joint. The treatment for this type of fracture is to perform a femoral head and neck excision, or removing the ball joint of his hip and smoothing the bone. Cats do cope quite well without a hip joint as they are generally light weighted. Once he was healed, Diesel would not even notice that he no longer had a hip joint.

Dr Andrea and Dr Suzanne performed the surgery, while Nurse Janelle monitored Diesel's anaesthetic. Diesels surgery went well and Dr Andrea and Dr Suzanne were able to remove his fractured femoral head. Diesel was administered pain relief prior to surgery and also while he was in recovery. We were extremely diligent in ensuring he was pain free as this will hasten his healing and recovery. Several hours after his recovery he was eating eagerly and the next morning he was able to stand and tentatively take a few steps.

Diesel was discharged the following day and was doing really well at home. He was able to walk really well and was harassing his owners as he was not happy his cat flap was locked. Diesel's owners would need to restrict his access to the outdoors for about six weeks until he was fully healed.