A household poisoning reinforces the dangers of hazardous items in the house

Many everyday items found around your house can be potentially hazardous to your cat. Being aware of these can help to prevent a potentially deadly accident.

Hazards can be found in all parts of your home including fuels in the garage, bleach and disinfectant in the laundry, even some foods in your kitchen can be hazardous. Liver, onion and too much raw fish can all be toxic to your cat. Intoxication can also result from human medications such as aspirin, paracetamol and antidepressants. Therefore it is important to never give human medication to pets without checking with your veterinarian.

Potential Hazards to look out for in your home:-

  • Antifreeze
  • Petrol
  • Bleach
  • Acids- Disinfectants
  • Paracetamol
  • Antidepressants
  • Liver
  • Onion
  • Rat baits
  • Herbicides
  • Marijuana
  • Snail bait

I think my cat has been poisoned what should I do?

If you think your cat has come in contact with a poisonous substance, especially if he/she is looking unwell, bring your cat into the veterinary clinic immediately. If possible a phone call will also allow the veterinary team to prepare any urgent treatments that may be required. Making your cat vomit is also not recommended as this may not improve your cats condition.

Share